Thursday, April 27, 2017

No cooperation with school

Had a very healthy and hardy debate with a co-worker about this!!

The topic: Is it a parent's obligation to "cooperate" with their child's school?? Discuss below!!

Annswer: It is not. Most schools are institutions of control. Some school handbooks read that it is a parent's "obligation" and "responsibility" to cooperate with everything the school says and does. What about when the school is wrong??

Here is an example. If I were a parent, and the school required my child to take a drug test to be in cheerleading, football, or the chess club, would it be my responsibility to comply (when my child is already drug free)??

Another example (this is one for you Bandit). If the school required my child to wear a uniform or cut their hair, would it be my responsibility to make my child comply?? I would say no.

(I am talking about public schools. I am a product of public school. I wouldn't even think of making my children go to Catholic school.)

A parent's job is to parent, not to abdicate parenting responsibilities to the school. When we say it takes a village, this is not what we mean. It takes a village of love, not control. The parent also has another job, and that is to fight the school when it is wrong. Parents parent for the kids, not the school.

I convinced my co-worker.

No comments:

Post a Comment